carina in print – Daily record
Gingerbread Loaf by Carina Contini for today’s Daily Record
I used to make this regularly when I was at school. My dad and I would wait till it had cooled and we’d have a thick slice with an ever bigger slice of butter on top.
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 pieces of stem ginger in syrup grated
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
225g treacle or golden syrup
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 2.
3. Melt the butter, treacle, ginger and bicarbonate of soda until melted.
4. Remove from the heat and add in the milk in a large mixing bowl.
5. When cool add the egg, flour and then the sultanas.
6. Pour into the baking tin and bake for about 1 hour until the cake is cooked. Allow to cool.
7. Serve as a slice with as much butter as makes you happy.