carina in print – Daily record
Gingerbread Loaf by Carina Contini for today’s Daily Record
I used to make this regularly when I was at school. My dad and I would wait till it had cooled and we’d have a thick slice with an ever bigger slice of butter on top.
225g self raising flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 pieces of stem ginger in syrup grated
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50g light brown sugar
100g unsalted butter
225g treacle or golden syrup
2 free range eggs
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 2.
2. Line a 2lb loaf tin.
3. Melt the butter, treacle, ginger and bicarbonate of soda until melted.
4. Remove from the heat and add in the milk in a large mixing bowl.
5. When cool add the egg, flour and then the sultanas.
6. Pour into the baking tin and bake for about 1 hour until the cake is cooked. Allow to cool.
7. Serve as a slice with as much butter as makes you happy.