Carina in print – daily record
Rose water meringues by Carina Contini for today’s Daily Record
If love and romance is in the air try these pretty pink scented meringues. They are delicious with some freshly whipped cream. Rose water is a love of hate ingredient so it’s up to you if you want to serve these on Valentines Day.
The trick with meringues is to add the sugar, slowly, slowly, slowly. It makes all the difference.
Makes 8 – 10 fabulous meringues
Weigh just the whites of 3 organic free-range eggs.
Make sure they are at room temperature
Weigh double the weight of white caster sugar
A few drops of pink food colouring
1. Beat the egg whites and the salt until stiff. You’ll need a hand mixer or a table top mixer is ever better.
2. Beat the sugar in a teaspoon at a time.
3. Finally add the rose water and enough food colour to give a lovely pale pink colour. The food colouring doesn’t have to be completely blended as a marbled effect can be very pretty
The mixture should be firm and light.
4. Pipe tiny meringues onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
5. Place in a preheated oven gas mark 2 and turn the oven off.
6. Leave in the oven for 1 1/2 hour if you like them chewy or over night if you like the meringues dry.