carina in print – daily record
Ham & Egg Pie by Carina Contini for the Daily Record – in print Monday 7th January 2019
This is our go to family savoury snack when we know someone will be popping in for a visit. Best served slightly warm or cold with a glass of wine or a hot cup of tea equally hits the spot.
3 x 100g fresh ricotta
100g grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Corra Linn
100g thick-cut ham (preferably the trimmings from the ham on the bone), cut into small cubes or smoked pancetta
100g cured Italian sausage or Chorizo
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves only, very finely chopped
sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
unsalted butter, softened, for greasing
500g ready-made puff pastry
flour, for dusting
egg wash made from 1 egg, beaten
1. In a large bowl, crumble the ricotta until it is loose and add the grated cheese.
2. Break in the eggs and mix until they are incorporated. Add the sausage, ham and rosemary. Adjust the seasoning and mix well. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6 and grease a 30cm pie tin (preferably one with a loose bottom) with the softened butter. Roll the pastry out on a large floured surface so you have enough to cover the bottom and sides of the tin. Ensure there is also just enough pastry hanging over the edge of the tin so the mixture does not slip over the rim and stick the pie to the tin. Line the tin with the pastry. Place the filling in the pastry-lined tin. Trim the edges.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. The pie will start to colour.
5. Reduce the heat 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. Bake for 10 minutes more. The pie will have a bounce like a quiche on top to the touch, a lovely golden brown, and will smell heavenly. Allow to cool for 10 mins then remove from the tin and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack. Cool for 15 – 20 minutes before cutting.
This pie easily lasts for two days if you cover it with tinfoil as soon as it is cool.