Carina in print – Daily record
Creme Brulee by Carina Contini – in the Scottish Daily Record Monday 12th November 2018
600ml double cream
1 vanilla pod
5 free range egg yolks
100g caster sugar
1. Heat the cream, vanilla until warm. Set aside
2. Beat the egg yolks and 1 tablespoon of caster sugar until thick.
3. Slowly add the cream.
4. Pour into a heavy bottomed pan and heat the custard until it starts to thicken. This will take 10 minutes and you’ll have to keep the heat low and stir constantly so the custard doesn’t burn.
5. Pour the custard into chilled ramekins and set in the fridge overnight.
6. When ready to enjoy, remove from the fridge and sprinkle enough caster sugar over the top of the ramekin to cover. Either use a hand blow torch or grill until the sugar starts to bubble and caramelised. Don’t let it burn.
Enjoy the crack of the toffee and the chilled custard after a few minutes patience waiting for the toffee to set.