CARINA IN PRINT – DAILY RECORD
APPLE AND VANILLA CRUMBLE
In print 18th June
There is nothing that looks better or is more comforting than hot apple crumble with custard or fresh cream.
800g of cooking apples such as Bramley apples or a lovely Scottish heritage apples, like White Melrose
25g-50g of light brown sugar (depending on the apples).
100g of golden sultanas.
1 tablespoon Calvados or Marsala.
1 vanilla pod
For the crumble
50g of chilled unsalted butter
150g of self-raising flour
50g medium rolled oats
100g of demerara sugar
Pinch of salt
1. Peel and chop the apples.
2. Add half the sugar, damsons and Calvados and steam with the vanilla for about 8
minutes until semi soft.
3. Check the sugar adding more if required. Remove the vanilla pod.
4. Make the crumble by grating the butter into the flour and rubbing between your
fingers to make a fine crumb.
5. Fold in the oats and the sugar.
6. Place the cooked apples into a pie dish and scatter the crumble on top.
7. Bake at Gas Mark 5 for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden.
8. Serve with double cream or for a little extra comfort hot custard.