Torta Cioccolato by Carina Contini for today’s Daily Record
If we take this very rich, flour free, chocolate cake off the menu at Contini George Street there are riots. It’s quite technical but it’s worth if. If you feel it’s too adventurous for you, pop along to George Street and we will be delighted to serve you.
24cm round cake tin
700g Valrhona 70% Cocoa Chocolate
650g caster sugar
10 whole eggs
500g unsalted butter
1. Combine butter and the chocolate in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, allow to melt. Make sure the water does not boil.
2. Whilst this is melting, add 325g caster sugar and 500ml to a pan and melt over a low heat to make a sugar syrup.
3. Combine the sugar syrup and chocolate/butter mixture.
4. Beat the eggs with the remaining 325g Caster sugar.
5. Making sure the syrup/chocolate mixture is cooled, slowly add to the eggs, combine very gently and then beat for 30 minutes until it has a mousse like consistency.
5. Add to a large, deep cake tin.
6. Place this cake tin in a Bain Marie and bake for 3 hours at 150 celsius.
7. Allow too cool and serve at room temperature.
At Contini George Street we serve with homemade yoghurt gelato, amarena cherries and a little red amarith to decorate.